Enough About Me... How About You? What Do You Think Of Me?


Friday, October 28, 2005

This is serious...

Bit of an introspective day, so you’re getting deep thoughts. I’ve now got three movie reviews: Two For The Money, Where The Truth Lies and Kiss, Kiss, Bang Bang – those will be along next week after the Halloween recap.

So what’s it like to grow up? At the ripe young age of 29, (sidebar: the guy I’m dating has been out of high school for 18 years… 18 years!!! You know, there was a time not so long ago when I couldn’t ever imagine relating to someone that old and now I’m well on my way there. Egads.) I have lots of friends that are married, and lots that are still single, but even the single ones are pairing up. It’s interesting because as one of these single ones, I feel like I’m actually beyond the point of dating to settle down. Yeah, that likely doesn’t make sense – what I mean is that I made it past the mid-twenties where everyone and their cat gets married because it’s the thing to do. Now that people have accepted that that scene is just not for me – I can date for pleasure. I don’t have one of those wild biological clocks that tells me it’s 10 minutes to trying to have a baby. My clock only has one time: happy hour. Yeah, fun to be me.

But regardless of not going down the traditional road of university degree, then marriage, then house, then kids – I have still had to face growing up. I left family, friends and a marriage proposal behind to move here and start fresh. I’m now looking at buying a condo (goddam, I just got pre-approved for a mortgage – talk about being damn grown-up), I take at least one international trip per year (last year, two), and I’m getting ready to make a career move – no, not a job change – a career move – something that takes my work to the next level. And nothing makes you feel more grown-up than being in a relationship. Yes damn ALL OF YOU (you know who you are) I’m in a relationship. I didn’t plan to end up here – I somehow took a turn at “dating multiple people at the same time” (that was a fun posting) and ended up here…

Anyhow, the point of all this is that I feel like things are changing. Not in one area particularly, rather across the board. I’m shaking the etch-a-sketch, I guess. After a year and a half in this city, and approaching a rather important birthday next year – I just feel like it’s time to look at my life and decide what’s in and what’s not.

Posted by Brown Eyed Girl :: 12:11 PM :: 2 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------