Enough About Me... How About You? What Do You Think Of Me?


Tuesday, October 18, 2005

JC is the new K-OS

He didn’t quite give me the elevator, so much as stagger in my direction while giving me the once-over with one somewhat bloodshot eye. He belted back the rest of what looked like rye, and tripped over his own feet on his way out the door. Girls and boys… K-OS.

As you all know, we’ve been ardent fans of K-OS for quite some time (although through the duration of this period, he’s been dead to me – Greektown called dibs). I think last night’s combo of yet another great performance from Jason Collett versus K-OS being stinking drunk did in whatever was left of the wholehearted fan-dom. I mean, he’s not dead to us or anything, I’m sure we’ll be back on the bandwagon when they put out a new album, but for the interim, we’re done. Jason Collett is the new K-OS. And in keeping with that, we’ll be seeing him for the third (my third, Greektown’s fourth) time when he plays Lee’s Palace in December.

Anyhow, last night was the Feist show, featuring Jason Collett as one of the two openers. New Buffalo (seemed okay) was the first up, with JC in the middle. It was a good set, marred only by the rather lackluster enthusiasm from the crowd. By the time we got to JC’s full length set, the crowd was definitely ready for the lady of the evening. Nevertheless, he put on a great show – especially his rendition of Hangover Days with Leslie Feist herself. The tune with Ms. Feist playing drums was also awesome (totally had a girl crush).

Feist was the biggest surprise for me. I’ve had her album for about a year now, and expected her to be kind of drippy – you know – kind of sappy. I was in no way prepared for her voice or her rockin’ out attitude throughout the show. For much of it, she was a one-woman show, doing some really amazing techie-stuff called “looping” (?), where she basically used a sound board and separate mic to record her own background vocals / harmony and guitar. I’ve never seen anything like it. Her rendition of the Bee Gees song Inside Out blew me away, with the whole of JC’s band and New Buffalo coming out to sing along, choir-style. On the whole, I was absolutely amazed by her talent, voice and stage presence. This was $30 extremely well spent and she’s won me over as a full-on fan.

Posted by Brown Eyed Girl :: 1:49 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------