Enough About Me... How About You? What Do You Think Of Me?


Monday, October 17, 2005

Death Cab at the Kool Haus

Death Cab For Cutie - DCFC…. You know when you have super-high expectations for something and amazingly, it still delivers? Saturday night’s DCFC show at the Kool Haus was that kind of show. I’ve been listening to them for about a year now, first their cd Transatlanticism and now their latest, Plans. Both cds are amazing. The show was incredible. The Kool Haus has been home to a few disappointing shows over the past year, but this one more than made up for it…yeah, I know… gush, gush. Interesting crowd too – the older, hipster gang was there – you know them – the “we’ve followed them from the beginning” people, as were an interesting mix of what I’d call everyday people (like me) and the under-18 crowd.

For a pretty mellow sounding group, these guys were remarkably energetic on stage, at one point even staging a drum-battle between the main singer and the drummer. Yeah, hard to picture if you know the band, but very entertaining. The vocals were – as Greektown so accurately described them – cd quality, which when you think about it, is pretty incredible given how high he sings. Overall, the set list, the sound, stage presence and their – I don’t know – grateful attitude? The sum was a fantastic set from a mature band at the top of their game. We went in with really high expectations and were well rewarded. Favorite moment of the night? The first song of the encore – I will follow you into the dark – completely carried me away and goes down as one of my favorite concert moments.

In an aside… we were at a movie last night (Two For The Money) and while waiting in line for popcorn, I realized that the song I was humming along to a Death Cab song. That’s right, Death Cab at the Famous Players

Next up – Jason Collett and Feist at the Danforth Music Hall tonight. Starting to feel like a bit of a JC stalker, but whatev – he’s sooooo good. Have I harassed you about buying the cd yet? Do it!! (Do it, just do it. Do it. Do it.)

Posted by Brown Eyed Girl :: 1:00 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------