Enough About Me... How About You? What Do You Think Of Me?


Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Okay, now look ANGRY

Sunday afternoon, the Skydome (dammit, Rogers Center)… game three of the Jays / Indians series. We’re sitting in the 500s, enjoying the sun and the game and some beer. Well, melting is more like it… Goddamn it’s hot up there…

So not a great game for the Jays, who lost to the Indians, but not a terrible outing for Josh Towers.

Alright, not my most riveting play-by-play on a game ever, but that’s ‘cause I’m saving the best for last… Sunday night a friend and I headed down to the Jays Fest Gala at the Liberty Grand (at the National Exhibition). Jays Fest Gala, you ask? It’s an annual “thank you” party hosted by the Jays organization in appreciation of season ticket holders. Now I’m not myself a season ticket holder, however my company is and the guy who manages the tickets – well, I have lunch with him every day… and I can be very charming…

So we get back to my place after the game, throw on business suits and head to the Ex. Having no idea what to expect, we arrived at the Liberty Grand around 730 (doors were at 6) in hopes of perhaps seeing one or two ball players and grabbing some decent food. It didn’t quite work out that way…

We walked in to the main ballroom and standing just inside the door was Corey Koskie. OMG, Corey Koskie. And he looked angry. Which is to say that he looked normal. So as I walked by him, I blurted out “Great game today” and just as he puts his hand out to shake mine, I walk away dazed. Oops, kinda missed Russ Adams who was standing next to him and ALSO played.

Okay, shake it off, shake it off, you can do this! For God’s sakes I’ve been to Coachella!! In the VIP area! With Danny Devito and Scott Speedman!!! I’ve sat with Sarah from the Arcade Fire and met the whole band!!! I know what will help… a drink. Off to the bar I go…

So I’m lined up at the bar (while my pal is off ATTACKING the buffet) and I’m kind of snickering at the guy in front of me, who’s wearing a rather loud polyester button-down shirt that says “bikini-tini” on the back with a cartoon picture of a girl (the sort of picture you see on mudflaps on a transport truck). Tee hee. Oops again, it’s Frank Menechino. Of course it is…

Alright, I now have a drink in hand, well actually, I’m double fisting because I’m holding my friend’s drink too – he found a whole other area of the buffet… “Turn around,” my friend says quite calmly, “there’s Roy Halliday.” Okay, now I’m sweating.

Don’t ask me how, but somehow I managed to summon the nerve to go over and chat with him, his wife (hello, gossip much? I think she was ready to give me dirt on everyone!) and gulp, Corey Koskie again. So off I go, apologize to Corey for “being such an idiot and feeling a bit star struck” and chat with the three of them for oh – five minutes or so. Wow. Gotta say, I kind of have a bit of a crush on Corey… Anyhow, we mix and mingle for a while, which really means I drank and my pal ate… Gustavo Chacin was there, Russ Adams and Aaron Hill, pretty much everyone other than Eric Hinske – which was for the best, because I had been practicing my “Eric Hinske’s an idiot” line all day… (season).

Finally, we track down the guy I was hoping to see… Shea Hillenbrand. I LOVE Shea Hillenbrand. Love him. He’s my favorite. Anyhow, we went up and had a really interesting and lengthy chat with the guy… he’s great! Totally down-to-earth, one of those guys that is in it for the game. And he had his shirt practically unbuttoned to his waist… ah, bit of a crush now, actually.

So we wound up the evening listening to Edwin McCain – the guy who sings “I’ll Be” – the musical talent they brought in for the event. We lasted, what, two songs before it was time to accost Corey Koskie one last time. I wanted to get a picture with him before leaving… I jokingly said to my friend that I should ask him to look angry in the photo since that’s how he looks most of the time anyway. And the next thing you know…

Hi, do you mind if I get a photo with you?” “Of course.” “Here’s the thing – could you do me a favor and look angry? It’s kind of a running joke – you look angry most of the time – in your stock photo and when you’re batting especially. It’ll be more authentic…” He laughs and puts his arm around me. (melt!). So my pal is completely screwing with the camera (on purpose as it turns out – I guess I looked like I enjoyed the Koskie arm around me – now that’s a friend…). I’m laughing, Corey’s laughing and I’m bugging him to try to look angry. “How am I supposed to look angry when your friend can’t work the camera and you keep giggling!

Ah well, the photo turned out quite nicely after all…

And Shea...


Posted by Brown Eyed Girl :: 1:54 PM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------