Enough About Me... How About You? What Do You Think Of Me?


Thursday, July 28, 2005

Not your typical commemoration...

250 years ago today, in 1755, the Acadian people were expelled from their homes by the British. Today’s commemoration is being marked by the sound of church bells in over 60 churches throughout New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland and Quebec, and followed by a minute of silence. This will be the first ever commemoration since a Royal Proclamation was made in December 2003.

Why am I writing about this??? Well, I am Acadian. There’s your little known fact for the day – and likely explains why I know so many French curse words. I didn’t grow up overly conscious of the fact that I was Acadian… my mother, who is a Cormer-Chiasson (there are some French names for you!) married an Anglophone and although we speak fluent French, it wasn’t until the first ever Acadian Retrouvailles of 1994 in New Brunswick and the Sommet de la Francophonie, held in Moncton in 1999, that my family really re-embraced our Acadian heritage. In school, we covered the Acadian expulsion in history class, and what young Acadian girl hasn’t acted out a soliloquy from Antonine Maillet’s La Sagouine… (Just me? Okay then…). But it wasn’t until many, many years later that I realized my tie to this history.

I usually remember to raise a glass to my roots every August 15th (and maybe listen to a little 1755 – my favorite EVER Acadian Band) but more than that, I am very proud to declare myself an Acadian whenever I can. I’ll do so again today, at 17:55, (or 4:55 EST) when I’ll turn off my iPod in the car and observe the minute of silence… then like any proud Acadian, I’ll chase it down with a cold beer. Santé!

Posted by Brown Eyed Girl :: 2:41 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------