Enough About Me... How About You? What Do You Think Of Me?


Friday, June 17, 2005

I'm a big baby...

So I recently bought two new pairs of sneakers… New Balance 680s and a pair of Asics Gels. I was very reluctant to buy new sneakers because I LOVE my old ones (Asics Gel Kayanos) and because they cost as much as my leather coat. We (my running group, Jeans Marines) have been hiking up our kilometers of late – 13kms, 16 kms next week – the old ones just have to be retired. The problem I have is that both of my new pairs of sneakers have been screwing with my knee. I go out, run in the new sneakers and end up limping for days. I put the old ones on, and I’m fine. Boo hiss!

So yesterday, despite still having a bit of knee tenderness, I decided to hit Queens Park for a short run. My original intention was to go up on the roof and use the cross trainer (no impact), but it was so damn gorgeous out (gorgeous for a runner means imminent rain and cold wind) that I decided I’d try the park for a few laps in my old sneakers and see how the knee held up. I did about four laps before my knee seemed to settle down. As I was running, I kept telling myself – just another 10 and 1… then I’ll stop. My plan to run 6 km turned into what I’m guessing is about 13 or 14 kilometers… I just felt so damn good that I couldn’t stop. In the end the only reason I left the park was because a homeless man kept jumping into the trail from behind trees and I knew it was just a matter of time before he jumped out with no pants on… THAT I don’t need!

So this morning I called the Running Room and chatted with the manager about the Kayanos and I think the two new pairs are going back in return for one really good pair – so much for running being a cheap sport! Also chatted with the footwear manager at Sporting Life (Jean’s Marines sponsor) and I have an extensive list of shoes I will now try. Oh and I have to get some of those “gel” things – mid run supplements – that everyone is talking about – I guess Gatorade isn’t enough anymore… Now that I’m feeling a bit more optimistic about the whole injury / footwear situation, I’m re-energized. It is so amazing how one really great run can change your whole outlook. I can’t wait to get out again!

Posted by Brown Eyed Girl :: 12:48 AM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------