Enough About Me... How About You? What Do You Think Of Me?


Monday, April 11, 2005

All You Need To Know About... Sin City

Movie: Sin City
Director: Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller
Guest Director: Quinten Tarantino
Writer: Frank Miller
Producer: Elizabeth Avellan
Distributor: Miramax Films
Website: http://www.sincitythemovie.com/
Characters:
Hartigan: Bruce Willis
Nancy: Jessica Alba
Gail: Rosario Dawson
Jackie Boy: Benicio Del Toro
Dwight: Clive Owen
Marv: Mickey Rourke
Shellie: Brittany Murphy
Miho: Devon Acki

Plot: Sin City is based on Frank Miller's series of "Sin City" graphic novels. The plotline will include elements from the stories "Sin City," "The Babe Wore Red," and "Those Yellow Bastards."

Comments:
I wouldn’t say that I was reluctant to see this film… I had read so many incredible reviews that I couldn’t miss it – however most of the reviews described huge amounts of violence and I’m usually not a huge fan. I make exceptions of course – Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies EVER, however not every violent film is a Tarantino masterpiece. But I digress. For me, Sin City is one of those films that I will doubtless seen many times. It was funny, it was dark, and I felt like I was in a comic book. I got lost in the movie! Although there was some very campy dialogue, it was entirely appropriate to the movie and the characters.

The Marv / Dwight storylines were my favorites. The acting was great – and the way the story unfolded – well it just felt like you were a character standing off to the side. I had heard previous to screening the film that the Mickey Rourke performance was incredible. I didn’t actually know who Mickey Rourke was until after the film, but I wholeheartedly agree with the critics – he was amazing.

One of the things I enjoyed about the movie was the way that women were portrayed… although there were some very stereotypical “women in comic book” roles (ie: Shelley and Nancy), Gail and Miho, residents of Old Town, represented a different kind of woman – one in charge of her own destiny.

Interesting to note about the film: Sin City has two directors: Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller. Apparently it is against the rules to have more than one director on any film and though Rodriguez attempted to work it out so that Sin City could go ahead with two, they were turned down – so Rodriguez dropped out of the Screen Actor’s Guild.

Posted by Brown Eyed Girl :: 12:42 PM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------